- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cans coconut milk (800mL)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 cups tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp jasmine extract
- 1/2 tsp pandan extract
- Place sugar, coconut milk and water into a saucepan. Stir on medium heat until the sugar completely dissolves. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare your steamer. Place an oiled tray into your steamer so that the tray heats up.
- Combine rice flour and tapioca starch in a bowl.
- Gradually add in the cooled coconut milk mixture (approximately half a cup at a time) and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon or by hand (I prefer using my hand as I am able to feel for lumps a lot better).
- Once the mixture is smooth, pour the mixture through a strainer.
- Stir the mixture and divide into two portions. Place jasmine extract into one portion and pandan extract into the other portion. Mix each portion well.
- Place a layer of jasmine mixture onto the tray in the steamer (The amount you place onto the tray will depend on your tray size, but you are aiming for a thickness of 2-3mm). Steam for 5 minutes.
- Place a layer of pandan mixture onto tray. Steam for 5 minutes. Repeat this process using alternating mixtures until there is no mixture left. (Remember to give each mixture a good stir before pouring it onto the tray). Steam the final top layer for 8 minutes.
- Allow the contents of the tray to cool.
- Remove from tray and cut into small portions.
This sweet, sticky, chewy dessert is one of my all time favourites and I am thrilled to have a perfect recipe for it.